Well, iOS 6 is finally here! Some time tomorrow - on 9/19/12, you can finally upgrade your iOS device. The update can hit at any time tomorrow, but will likely be 10am PST / 1pm EST.
It's fairly easy to upgrade but you want to make sure you take the right steps.
- Make sure you are properly backed up. Click here to find out more on backing up.
- Make sure your iOS device (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch) has enough of a battery charge. At least 50%. If possible plug it in to a charger while doing this.
- You should be able to upgrade your iOS device without connecting it to a computer.
- Open up your Settings App, choose General, then choose Software Update.
- You should see an update available. If you don't see the update available, come back later or try iTunes.
- In the case you do not see the update available in the settings app (which might be so for various reasons), then you can connect your iOS device directly to iTunes on your mac or PC.
- iTunes would alert you to an update being available.
- After iOS 6 installs, the iOS device will ask you a few set up questions.
- If it asks you to set up as a new device, or to restore from backup, its very important you choose restore from backup. Otherwise you will lose all your saved settings, files, apps, etc..
To learn whats new in iOS 6 click here. Its 2 pages, so at the bottom make sure to click on page 2 to see all the new features.
For Apple's official page on whats new click here.